[Foundation-l] Journal Boycott

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 19:14:14 UTC 2012

On 1 February 2012 17:12, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org> wrote:

> could you perhaps elaborate how exactly the Free Knowledge would benifit
> from boycotting non-OA journals? (Not meant sarcastic, I really want to
> know)
> Also, how would you imagine such support? I could imagine that with any
> support by Wikimedia for a boycott, people would assume automatically that
> we would start blocking citations of said journals. Or are you thinking
> about that Wikimedia related scholars are asked to public Open Access? (I
> could imagine this is already the case)

I can't see this flying. If the most evil person in the world
publishes a work that it's appropriate to cite in an educational
article, then we cite it. Elsevier are a giant sucking vampire tick on
science and knowledge itself, and if we were looking for an enemy
they'd be an excellent candidate, but there's lots more evil people
out there.

But, as Gwern suggests, papers by researchers who have joined the
boycott would be fertile ground for new content for the projects.

- d.