[Foundation-l] Call for nominations: chapter-appointed seats on the WMF Board of Trustees

Béria Lima berialima at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:21:14 UTC 2012

Hello, I will (try to) answer everyone - so I will send several mails in a
row... please stick with me during the process.

*Excellent; I am pleased to see that the chapters are becoming more
> transparent in this respect.  However, if the plan is to mirror the
> discussion on Meta, why not just have it there in the first place?*

Because not all the discussion will be in meta. Some parts are confidential
and will not be disclose in Meta. I know you people might start scream:
"CABAL!" but that is a chapters decision, not a community one. We do need
to give them a safe space to work and get a consensus. And some people
might feel better asking some questions in a private wiki.

*I assume that all candidates must identify with the WMF before their
> candidacy is accepted, is that correct?
> *

According with the meta page (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapter-selected_Board_seats/2012/Process)
:

*All candidate statements will have to supply the following information: *

   1. *The name of the nominee*
   2. *The name of the nominating chapter (if applicable)*
   3. *A statement from the chapter in support of the nominee (if
   applicable)*
   4. *A statement from the nominee in support of themselves, accompanied
   by a short CV and confirming they are willing and eligible to take a seat
   on the WMF board. Any candidates with Chapters wiki accounts will have
   those accounts disabled for the duration of the selection process.*

So, no, they don't need to send their document to Phillipe.

* As well, will candidates who are chapter executive members be required to
> take a leave of absence or to resign from their executive position during
> their Board candidacy?
> *

Another question already answered in a document, this time in the
Resolution (
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Bylaws_amendments_and_board_structure):

*Chapter-selected Trustees must resign from any chapter-board, governance,
chapter-paid, or Foundation-paid position for the duration of their terms
as Trustees, but may continue to serve chapters in informal or advisory
capacities.*

*One more question, this time about who will actually be doing the voting.
>  Can you clarify exactly who will be voting in this selection process? Will
> it be one representative for each of the 38 chapters, or will more than one
> representative be participating?*

Who will vote? Everyone here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Chapters

Each chapter has a vote, and how they decide their candidates is up to
them. Some held a internal vote, some decide in General Assembly, some have
an internal discussion in ML... you would need to ask each one of the 38 to
know the exact process.
_____
*Béria Lima*
<http://wikimedia.pt/>(351) 925 171 484

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*