[Foundation-l] Call for nominations: chapter-appointed seats on the WMF Board of Trustees

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 05:49:56 UTC 2012

Thanks for your prompt responses, Beria.  I have a few follow-ups.

On 31 January 2012 22:43, Béria Lima <berialima at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Risker. let's go by question.
>
> *Why is the discussion happening on chapterswiki, instead of in an open
> > place where all Wikimedians can at least read the discussion?
> > *
>

> Everthing that is in Chapters wiki is replicated in meta. All the links in
> the Call for Candidates (CfC) are from meta. Everyone can read the
> discussion. So far the only discussion in chapters wiki was the election
> for moderators, and the review of the CfC wording. We are not trying to
> exclude the community - by the contrary - we would be glad to have the
> community involved in the process, not only with questions, but also as
> candidates.

Excellent; I am pleased to see that the chapters are becoming more
transparent in this respect.  However, if the plan is to mirror the
discussion on Meta, why not just have it there in the first place?

> *
> *
> >
> > * Will the names of the candidates be published for the entire Wikimedia
> > community to see?  *
>

> The real names, obviously not. The usernames may be published - IF the
> candidate has no problem with that.

I'm sorry, I have a problem with that.  All other candidates for Board
seats must publicly disclose their real name in their candidate
presentation (because the identities of Board members are a matter of
public record, it is not possible to hold a position on the Board of
Trustees anonymously or under a pseudonym).

I assume that all candidates must identify with the WMF before their
candidacy is accepted, is that correct?

As well, will candidates who are chapter executive members be required to
take a leave of absence or to resign from their executive position during
their Board candidacy?

> > *Will opinions from non-chapter members (who make up 97% of Wikimedians)
> > be considered?*
> >

> With questions and suggestions, of course will. But with votes, No. There
> are a vote for elect the community members of the Board, that happened last
> year and will occur again next year. This vote is decided only by the
> chapters according with WMF bylaws itself. Quoting: "Be*ginning in July
> 2008, two Trustees will be selected by chapters in even-numbered
> years*"[1].

I am pleased to hear that questions and suggestions from the majority of
Wikimedians will be accepted.

One more question, this time about who will actually be doing the voting.  Can
you clarify exactly who will be voting in this selection process? Will it
be one representative for each of the 38 chapters, or will more than one
representative be participating?

Thanks again,

Risker/Anne