[Wikimedia-l] compromise?

Leslie Carr lcarr at wikimedia.org
Sat Dec 29 20:01:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM, James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about for the April fundraiser, instead of setting a dollar value
> goal, we agree to use multivariate analysis instead of A/B testing to
> optimize the messaging from volunteer submissions in advance, then run
> the whole thing for a fixed time frame, say three weeks, and then use
> the actual amount raised to decide whether salaries should be
> competitive with area tech firms,

I've bit my tongue at this a bunch of times but I need to finally put
my foot down.

Which tech employees are saying that we need our salaries to be at Bay
Area tech standards.  Sure, I'd love a big raise (I'm greedy!).  I
took a pay cut to come work at the Foundation.  However, I'm not
starving, I'm not living in the ghetto with 20 people huddled into a
single room, and most importantly, I knew what my salary was going to
be when I joined the foundation.  I knew that I wouldn't be getting
bonuses, stock options, massages, breakfast, lunch, dinner, baristas,
onsite personal trainers, onsite physical therapists, haircuts,
dentists, business class everywhere (that might have been the hardest
thing to give up!), nutritionists, aeron chairs, dry cleaning,
laundry, and all that.  And you know what -- if I did get those
things, I have a feeling that it wouldn't look too good to our donors,
and we'd be having the exact opposite discussion.  Plus, I can make my
own coffee.

How do we even know that salary is a factor in people voluntarily
leaving?  Has it been established in exit interviews?

If I felt strongly about salary, I wouldnt have a problem speaking up,
but please don't put words in my mouth.

Leslie

whether Fellowships should be
> jettisoned, how much personell to put into the Education Program and
> engineering, and how much of a reserve to invest, preferably with low
> risk instruments which pay above the rate of inflation?

Leslie Carr
Wikimedia Foundation
AS 14907, 43821
http://as14907.peeringdb.com/