[Wikimedia-l] Multivariate Fundraising Tests (Re: compromise?)

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 23:02:44 UTC 2012

Matt, I have specific answers to most of your questions, but I don't
know whether others on wikimedia-l would be interested in them, and
I'm not sure about the specifics of a couple terms you used relative
to what I remember of the testing harness, so I'll reply in more
detail off-list with some questions about the terms over the weekend.

For now, I think the banner text message has aways been the most
important part of any appeal, and that if you were to take all 300 of
the existing volunteer submissions (and accept more -- e.g. "How much
you donate may help determine how much we pay our programmers" would
be incredibly effective, and hope you will measure it) and if you were
to include all those without any javascript, pull-down, landing page,
or other changes over a one week period with about 3000 impressions
each at random times of day and days of week for each, you would have
plenty to work with.  That's about a million impressions, or a 0.3%
impressions test, which I believe will give you well over 95%
confidence in the results.

That would not account for banner fatigue, which may be significant
all the way from timezone-to-timezone up to year-to-year, but I have
no ideas about how to account for that other than to do a multivariate
test shortly before beginning fundraising in earnest.