[Wikimedia-l] fundraising status?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 01:12:24 UTC 2012

On Dec 28, 2012 1:02 AM, "cyrano" <cyrano.fawkes at gmail.com> wrote:

>> are a

>> is

>>> I find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone could think my
>>> proposal that the salaries of Foundation employees be increased so
>>> that none of them are less than 50% of the top executive salary is
>>> made in bad faith or "targeted" towards anyone.
>>
>> I suspect the assumption of bad faith is because he doesn't believe
anyone
>> could genuinely propose such a ridiculously bad idea. When limits on such
>> ratios are discussed the usual figure I hear is a limit of 10%. 50% is
>> completely unrealistic. Either you would have to massively overpay your
>> junior staff (wasting donor's money) or you wouldn't be any to attract
any
>> experienced senior staff.
>

> Hello Thomas,
>
> are you saying that NOBODY can and will do a good job for five times less
money? There are extremely talented people in the third world, and
extremely passionated people in the first world, that may accept such a
pay. I'm dubious about your statement.

Well, I suppose "any" is a bit of an exaggeration. It would be extremely
difficult though. Why would someone from the third world come to San
Francisco and accept a salary 5 times lower than they could get at a
similar organisation ?