[Wikimedia-l] fundraising status?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 00:34:36 UTC 2012

On Dec 27, 2012 10:50 PM, "James Salsman" <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > this is the most current iteration of a type of thread
> > that I find contributes a great deal of stress to my work here. There
are a
> > number of assumptions that strike me as bad faith and many of them are
> > targeted at people I work with (some of them I consider friends), so it
is
> > very difficult for me to read this
>
> I find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone could think my
> proposal that the salaries of Foundation employees be increased so
> that none of them are less than 50% of the top executive salary is
> made in bad faith or "targeted" towards anyone.

I suspect the assumption of bad faith is because he doesn't believe anyone
could genuinely propose such a ridiculously bad idea. When limits on such
ratios are discussed the usual figure I hear is a limit of 10%. 50% is
completely unrealistic. Either you would have to massively overpay your
junior staff (wasting donor's money) or you wouldn't be any to attract any
experienced senior staff.