[Wikimedia-l] WMF HR and leadership questions

ENWP Pine deyntestiss at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 23:39:36 UTC 2012

Gayle,

Thank you for the timely announcement that you will participate in a January office hour on IRC.

I was already contemplating writing to you in the context of some recent discussion on Wikimedia-l and on Meta.

So, I'd like to ask you to respond to these questions on Wikimedia-l.

1. Would you please respond to James' concern that I'm quoting below?

"For those outside of the U.S., http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Wikimedia-Foundation-Reviews-E38331.htm (2.8, 55%) should resolve correctly. Because Glassdoor is susceptible to sour grapes, it is probably best read in comparison to similar nearby companies. For example:
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/WIKIA-Reviews-E428648.htm (4.5, 100%)
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Google-Reviews-E9079.htm (4.0, 90%)
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Facebook-Reviews-E40772.htm (4.6, 94%)
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Twitter-Reviews-E100569.htm (3.7, 56%)
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Apple-Reviews-E1138.htm (3.9, 82%)
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Oracle-Reviews-E1737.htm (3.2, 63%)
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Intuit-Reviews-E2293.htm (3.7, 79%)
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Adobe-Reviews-E1090.htm (3.7, 84%)
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/VMware-Reviews-E12830.htm (3.3, 63%)

"I hope the Board and leadership find some way to exceed the employee
satisfaction scores of at least one of those nine others in the coming
year."
2. I am interested in hearing your responses to some of the comments in this post from someone who identifies themselves as a current employee. http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Wikimedia-Foundation-RVW2021047.htm

Specifically, I would like to ask:

*2a. How active are Board members in participating in ongoing community and WMF discussions? Personally, I note that the number of board members who post on Wikimedia-l and/or Meta on a weekly or monthly basis seems lower than I would hope.

*2b. How are senior managers held accountable for making progress toward Strategic Plan goals such as meeting the Board-approved "critical target" of 200,000 active editors each month by 2015?

*2c. Are people fired "every month", and if so, what is being done in the way of preventative action, for example changing the hiring process to select people who are less likely to be fired?

*2d. Does WMF have "a talent retention problem" and if so what is being done about this?

Thank you in advance for responding to these questions.

Pine