[Wikimedia-l] No access to the Uzbek Wikipedia in Uzbekistan

Leslie Carr lcarr at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 27 23:03:33 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Marco Fleckinger
<marco.fleckinger at wikipedia.at> wrote:

> Leslie Carr <lcarr at wikimedia.org> schrieb:
>
>>On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Marco Fleckinger
>><marco.fleckinger at wikipedia.at> wrote:
>
>>> Just an idea, which is not very beautiful: What about a router
>>forwarding ports to the correct machine by using iptables? Would that
>>also work in connection with search engines?
>>
>>Are you suggesting we use different nonstandard ports for each
>>different wiki/language combo that resides on the same IP ?
>>
> Yes exactly!

I guess that is theoretically possible with a more intrusive load
balancer in the middle. We need the HOST information from the http
header to be added as we have our varnish caches serving multiple
services, not one(or more) per language/project combo.  I'm pretty
sure that lvs doesn't have this ability (which we use).  Some large
commercial load balancers have the ability to rewrite some headers,
but that would be a pretty intensive operation (think lots of cpu
needed, since it needs to terminate SSL and then rewrite headers) and
would probably be expensive.  If you have another way you think we can
do this, I am all ears!

We may want to move this discussion to wikitech-l as all the technical
discussions probably bore most of the people on wikimedia-l

Leslie

Leslie Carr
Wikimedia Foundation
AS 14907, 43821