[Wikimedia-l] proposed urgent Board of Trustees resolution without a meeting

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 11:46:17 UTC 2012

Ahem. :-)

James Salsman, 24/12/2012 07:33:
> [sniiiiiiiiip]
>
> whereas because of their low levels of compensation, junior foundation
> technical staff are often unable to afford housing which does not
> involve a lengthy commute from unsavory neighborhoods;[11]

(Only) this interested me. Too bad that I don't see proof of it in your
link.
If someone has data/concrete considerations on this, it would be nice to
post them on https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_HR_Committee talk
(redlink still!).

> [snip]
>
> therefore, be it resolved, that the Foundation will resume fundraising
> at maximal levels immediately [...]

Your proposal has already been implemented in 2010:
«All Wikimedia fundraising activities must aim to raise the maximum
possible amount of money [...]»
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Developing_Scenarios_for_future_of_fundraising>
«Fundraising activities in the Wikimedia movement should generally be
directed at achieving the highest possible overall financial support [...]»
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Wikimedia_fundraising_principles

> staff salaries and contractor compensation can be increased so no
> contributor is compensated less than 50% of the amount of the highest
> compensated executive staff member, calculated on a per-hour basis for
> contractors;

Are you asking to amend
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Delegations_of_Financial_and_Spending_Authority>
(and similar resolutions which I can't find now)?

> a one year contingency cash reserve can be maintained;
>
> sufficient staff can be added to the Education Program so that program
> article talk page templates can be provided with their correct
> academic calendar dates;
>
> the Wikimania program can include a telepresence pilot program;
>
> and the recent discontinuation of programs approved in the Annual Plan
> such as the Fellows program can be put to a question of the community
> with sufficient time for thorough consultation.

Are you asking to amend
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Vote:Narrowing_Focus>?

> [11] http://www.glassdoor.com/GD/Job/jobs.htm?clickSource=searchBtn&typedKeyword=&sc.keyword=wikimedia&locT=&locId=

Nemo