[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:56:48 UTC 2012

2012/11/28 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> WMF is not going to organize this, but we can help sponsor travel and
> bring the key developers from our side who will work on this. Are
> there any takers for supporting a 20-30 people development event in
> Europe focused on mapping/geodata? I'm suggesting Europe because I
> know quite a few of the relevant folks are there, but am open to other
> options as well.

Hi,

Sorry for bringing up this thread again so late, anyway Wikimedia
Italia has found a partner who is willing to organize such an event:
the "Bruno Kessler Foundation"[1] (FBK).
FBK is a research centre in Trento (Italy), which is already active in
the field; they are also maintaining the Italian version of
DBpedia[2]. The event will be held in Trento.
They are rather flexible about the dates, but we are suggesting to
organize it around the Wikimedia Conference  (the days just before or
just after the conference) so to focus our efforts in that period; in
this way we could also profit from the fact that some people from the
WMF staff will already be in Italy (since the WMConf will be held in
Milan).
Also, we think that organizing it before April will not give a
sufficient notice to other developers who may be interested in
participating.
We already contacted the Italian OSM community which will help to to
get in touch the international community.

Is this ok for you, can we start make it moving? =)

Cristian
WM-IT

[1] http://www.fbk.eu
[2] http://it.dbpedia.org/