[Wikimedia-l] Quarterly reviews of high priority WMF initiatives

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 20 02:49:13 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

to increase accountability and create more opportunities for course
corrections and resourcing adjustments as necessary, Sue's asked me
and Howie Fung to set up a quarterly project evaluation process,
starting with our highest priority initiatives. These are, according
to Sue's narrowing focus recommendations which were approved by the
Board [1]:

- Visual Editor
- Mobile (mobile contributions + Wikipedia Zero)
- Editor Engagement (also known as the E2 and E3 teams)
- Funds Dissemination Committe and expanded grant-making capacity

I'm proposing the following initial schedule:

January:
- Editor Engagement Experiments

February:
- Visual Editor
- Mobile (Contribs + Zero)

March:
- Editor Engagement Features (Echo, Flow projects)
- Funds Dissemination Committee

We’ll try doing this on the same day or adjacent to the monthly
metrics meetings [2], since the team(s) will give a presentation on
their recent progress, which will help set some context that would
otherwise need to be covered in the quarterly review itself. This will
also create open opportunities for feedback and questions.

My goal is to do this in a manner where even though the quarterly
review meetings themselves are internal, the outcomes are captured as
meeting minutes and shared publicly, which is why I'm starting this
discussion on a public list as well. I've created a wiki page here
which we can use to discuss the concept further:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings/Quarterly_reviews

The internal review will, at minimum, include:

Sue Gardner
myself
Howie Fung
Team members and relevant director(s)
Designated minute-taker

So for example, for Visual Editor, the review team would be the Visual
Editor / Parsoid teams, Sue, me, Howie, Terry, and a minute-taker.

I imagine the structure of the review roughly as follows, with a
duration of about 2 1/2 hours divided into 25-30 minute blocks:

- Brief team intro and recap of team's activities through the quarter,
compared with goals
- Drill into goals and targets: Did we achieve what we said we would?
- Review of challenges, blockers and successes
- Discussion of proposed changes (e.g. resourcing, targets) and other
action items
- Buffer time, debriefing

Once again, the primary purpose of these reviews is to create improved
structures for internal accountability, escalation points in cases
where serious changes are necessary, and transparency to the world.

In addition to these priority initiatives, my recommendation would be
to conduct quarterly reviews for any activity that requires more than
a set amount of resources (people/dollars). These additional reviews
may however be conducted in a more lightweight manner and internally
to the departments. We’re slowly getting into that habit in
engineering.

As we pilot this process, the format of the high priority reviews can
help inform and support reviews across the organization.

Feedback and questions are appreciated.

All best,
Erik

[1] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Vote:Narrowing_Focus