[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Internal-l] Israeli Government to Release its images under a free license for public use

Itzik Edri itzik at infra.co.il
Tue Dec 18 12:49:08 UTC 2012

cross-posting

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tomer Ashur <tomerashur at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Subject: [Internal-l] Israeli Government to Release its images under a free
license for public use
To: "Local Chapters, board and officers coordination (closed subscription)"
<internal-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

Hi all,
I am very proud to announce that Wikimedia Israel just won one of its main
struggles. The Israeli government has announced[1] that all imaged in which
the state is the copyrights holder and that were uploaded to the
government's websites can be freely used with the following restrictions:
1. The image will be attributed to the state of Israel (or the relevant
office)
2. The user cannot change the license (Share-alike)
3. No derivative work.
4. Each office will create a policy about commercial use (i.e., commercial
use is allowed, unless otherwise specified).

Wikimedia Israel has pushed for this change since 2010, when MK Meir
Sheetrit proposed an amendment for the Israeli copyright act. The chapter
pushed for the acceptance of this amendment by the Knesset (the Israeli
parliament). During this time, we were able to make a complete shift in the
paradigms employed by the government and government officials. From being
strong opposers to the bill, they become adopters of the changes, thus
making the bill itself, redundant.

Now, a new struggle begins - Wikimedia Israel will work to remove the ND
clause from the decision, and will make sure that all government offices
publish their policy as required. Nonetheless, this is still a huge
achievement, the government has accepted the importance of free culture in
modern world.

On a personal note, as the leader of this project, I wish to send my many
thanks to all of those who made this miracle happen. A special thanks is
due to the great people of the Israeli Internet society, the (just as
great) people of Creative commons Israel, Adv. Jonathan Klinger, Mathias
Schindler, the awsome volunteers of Wikimedia Israel and the editors of
Hebrew Wikipedia. If there's anyone I forgot by name - my apologies, I'm
still terribly excited of these news.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here or send me a private
email,
Tomer Ashur
Chairman
Wikimedia Israel