[Wikimedia-l] FreeBSD fate and the lesson for Wikimedia movement

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 06:29:51 UTC 2012

On 10 December 2012 05:17, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> Wordpress' strong card is its rather stable PHP-based
> platform, and when you think of it, that platform is not much more
> technically advanced than MediaWiki is, but it has a much more vibrant
> community of users. And when I say "vibrant", I mean "lots of people
> make money out of installing Wordpress for their clients". I know that
> it's a dirty question, but did anyone ever try to estimate how much
> money is made around the world from maintaining MediaWiki sites?

Not a huge amount. MediaWiki needs to be a *lot* more popular for the
enterprise. Compared to Confluence, it lacks the tick-box items "ACLs"
and "WYSIWYG"; it'll never have ACLs, but the visual editor should
help a great deal. Confluence is also one of the few things I can
think of that makes MediaWiki look lightweight.

- d.