[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia engineering November 2012 report

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 6 15:45:06 UTC 2012

Hi,

The report covering Wikimedia engineering activities in November 2012 is
now available.

Wiki version:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2012/November
Blog version:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/12/06/engineering-november-2012-report/

Like last month, we're also proposing a shorter and simpler version of this
report for less technically-savvy readers:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2012/November/summary

Below is the full HTML text of the report, as previously requested.

Major news in November include:

   - the soft-launch of Wikivoyage.org <https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/>;
   - the launch of a new HTML5 video
player<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/11/08/introducing-wikipedias-new-html5-video-player/>,
   with support for WebM video, subtitles and multiple resolution derivatives;
   - the first version of the Analytics Hadoop cluster put into service;
   - the opening up of the product management process to
volunteers<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/11/21/lead-development-process-product-adviser-manager/>
   .

*Note: Like last month, we're proposing a shorter and simpler version of
this report<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2012/November/summary>for
less technically savvy readers.
*
Personnel Work with us <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Work_with_us>

Are you looking to work for Wikimedia? We have a lot of hiring coming up,
and we really love talking to active community members about these roles.

   - Software Engineer - Experimental
Features<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=opDhWfwZ>
   - Software Engineer - Visual
Editor<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=otYPWfwW>
   - Software Engineer - Editor
Engagement<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=ovvXWfwD>
   - Software Engineer
(Partners)<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=oX2hWfwW>
   - Software Engineer
(Mobile)<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=o1H6Vfwt>
   - Software Developer General
(Mobile)<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=o4cKWfwG>
   - Git and Gerrit software development
(Contract)<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=o4gIWfwI>
   - Release Manager <http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=oZrQWfwW>
   - Senior Software
Engineer<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=ouLnWfwi>
   - Product Manager
(Mobile)<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=oGWJWfw1>
   - Visual Designer <http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=oomJWfw9>
   - Operations Engineer<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=ocLCWfwf>
   - Operations Engineer/Database
Administrator<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=obMOWfwr>
   - RFP-Lucene Search Operations
Engineer<http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?j=oC5fWfwC>

 Announcements

   - Quim Gil joined the Engineering Community Team of the Platform
   engineering group as "Technical Contributor Coordinator (IT Communications
   Manager)" (announcement<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-November/064412.html>
   ).
   - Juliusz Gonera joined the Mobile team as Software Developer (
   announcement<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-November/064526.html>
   ).

 Technical Operations

*Site Infrastructure*
Mark Bergsma made a breakthrough in resolving an old and elusive
instability issue in Varnish which occurs when they are under extreme load
or experiencing hanging connections/packet load. The problem turned out to
be the slow epoll thread. When under load and once the pipe buffer (64 KB)
is full, the writing Varnish worker threads block, and the server situation
deteriorates rapidly. Mark fixed this issue by moving the reading of the
sessions earlier in the epoll event loop, before the thread does anything
else, thereby reducing the size of the pipe buffer. With this enhancement,
Mark is confident he could further reduce the number of Varnish servers in
our caching infrastructure.Asher Feldman is happy to report that the
memcached instances on the app servers in Tampa are no longer in use. This
will give us back an extra 2GB of RAM on many of the app servers (which
only have 8 or 12GB to begin with) which can go towards increasing PHP
capacity. It also improves the stability of the site by addressing some of
the root causes of multiple site outages, and brings with it multiple
client improvements including consistent hashing, igbinary serialization,
and better timeout handling. The total cache pool has increased from 140GB
to 1392GB, enough to currently meet full parser cache requirements from
RAM. Sessions are no longer stored in memcached at all but have been
migrated to redis, which will provide replication to the stand-by
datacenter. In addition, performance is quite a bit better as well, as can
be seen by comparing the max value in the 90th and 99th percentile times in
the attached graph. In recent months, we've seen a high hardware failure
rate with our batch of Swift servers. After discussion with our vendor,
they agreed to replace all those servers with newer hardware. All the
required servers to replace the Tampa Swift servers have just arrived. We
are in the process of migrating data from the old servers to the new ones,
but it will take time to drain traffic, remove the old hardware from
production and slowly ramp up the new machines. Ariel Glenn's current
plan<http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Swift/Deploy_Plan_-_R720xds_in_tampa>is
to add 2 servers per week. After
several months of testing and tweaking, Peter Youngmeister finally rolled
out the new Apache-on-Precise build on all our Tampa app and imagescaler
servers. This will be the same (and tested) image that we'll be using on
the Ashburn App servers in the coming month. Thanks to the efforts of
Leslie Carr and Mark Bergsma, we are now a RIPE NCC
member<http://www.ripe.net/lir-services/member-support/become-a-member>,
and with this membership, we may be eligible to receive a one-time
allocation of a /22 of IPv4 address space from the last of /8 of IPv4
address space. This is particularly important to us since we have run out
of IPv4 addresses in Europe. The SSL cluster was upgraded to Ubuntu Precise
which provided a newer version of nginx and openssl, closing out the CRIME
vulnerability and giving us the possibility of using HTTP 1.1 to the
back-end. Testing of HTTP 1.1 for proxying will occur in the future.

*Fundraising*
The fundraising season started. Jeff Green and Leslie Carr rolled out the
new Ashburn Fundraising server cluster and it is currently handling all
payments. Leslie applied and tested firewall rules for the new cluster.
There were lots of bug fixes and small improvements to configuration
management, monitoring, and logging to cluster administration by the
Operations and the Fundraising tech teams. Jeff built out the second
payments messaging box (ActiveMQ) as a hot standby. A new wiki was deployed
for the Fundraising email unsubscribe page, to segregate it from sensitive
services (payments, CiviCRM). Specifications for new payments bastion hosts
were started.

*Data Dumps <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Projects/Data_Dumps>*
Media bundles are back in business at
your.org<http://ftpmirror.your.org/pub/wikimedia/imagedumps/tarballs/>now
that the network issues have been fixed. Work has started on upgrading
the OS on the servers that produce the dumps, rebuilding the necessary
packages and testing. The 'add/changes' experimental dumps have been
running stably long enough that we've made them available on the gluster
public data volume accessible to all Labs projects.

*Wikimedia Labs <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Labs>*
Andrew Bogott continues to work on some long-term OpenStack issues. There's
a new project, Moniker, which should (eventually) allow us to properly
integrate the Labs cloud with our DNS back-end and provide better stability
and a bit more user control. He continues to work on other more basic
OpenStack work which will eventually trickle into Labs.Andrew has also been
fiddling quite a bit with the usability of OpenStackManager, which is the
GUI for labsconsole. The interface is now marginally easier to use and
understand, and improvements are ongoing.

*Others*
Chris Johnson has relocated from Tampa to work in our Ashburn datacenter.
Steven Bernardin is now the main Tampa data center engineer. Features
Engineering <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Features_engineering>
Editor
retention: Editing tools

*VisualEditor <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=VisualEditor/status&action=edit>
]
In November, the team worked primarily on finalizing the code
re-engineering of VisualEditor so that it is more modular and easier to
extend, and on the integration ahead of deploying it for wider testing in
December. The early version of the VisualEditor on mediawiki.org was
updated twice (1.21-wmf4<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21/wmf4#VisualEditor>and
-wmf5 <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21/wmf5#VisualEditor>),
fixing a number of bugs and missing wikitext compatibility, and wide-spread
improvements to much of the user interface code so that it will be easier
to change in future.

*Parsoid <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsoid>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Parsoid/status&action=edit>
]
In preparation for the upcoming deployment on the English Wikipedia, the
Parsoid team concentrated on the preservation of existing content.
Automated round-trip testing on 100,000 randomly chosen pages from the
English Wikipedia using distributed test runners helped to identify many
issues, which were fixed and often resulted in new minimal test cases being
added to the parser test suite. Currently, 79.4% test articles (up from
about 65% last month) round-trip without any differences at all, an
additional 18% round-trip with only minor (whitespace, quote style etc)
differences, and the remaining 2.6% of pages have differences that still
need fixing (down from about 15% last month). Selective serialization will
further avoid dirty diffs in unmodified parts of a page by using the
original wikitext for those. This will help further fix the 20% of pages
that had any kind of difference in wikitext. The implementation of this
algorithm is currently being finalized.
 Editor engagement

*Article feedback <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Article_feedback>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Article_feedback/status&action=edit>
]
This month, we continued to develop final features for Article
Feedback<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Article_feedback/Version_5>,
and researched how people are using this tool on the English Wikipedia.
With the help of community members, we designed new
features<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Article_feedback/Version_5/Feature_Requirements#Features_under_consideration>to
reduce the editor workload, including improved moderation tools and a
more prominent feedback link. These features will be developed next month,
once we've completed code re-factoring to improve database performance. We
also analyzed new research data to track how moderators use the feedback
page <http://toolserver.org/%7Edartar/fp/>, and measure how many readers
who post feedback become editors or registered users. Next month, we will
invite Wikipedians to evaluate the usefulness of feedback posts and the
effectiveness of our new moderation tools. Once these tasks are done, we
plan to release Article Feedback v5 to 100% of the English Wikipedia in
early 2013. For more information about this tool, check our project
overview<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_feedback>
.

*Page Curation <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Curation>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Page_Curation/status&action=edit>
]
Page Curation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Page_Curation> is
now in 'maintenance mode', following its release on the English Wikipedia
in September 2012. We have been tracking the impact of this tool with a metrics
dashboard <http://toolserver.org/%7Edartar/pc/>, which confirms that it is
being used actively, with over 27,000 pages reviewed since launch. To learn
more, visit our introduction
page<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Page_Curation/Introduction>,
watch this video
tour<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Page_Curation/Video>or
read this
tutorial <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Page_Curation/Tutorial>.
If you are an experienced editor, try out the final
version<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Special:NewPagesFeed>on the
English Wikipedia.

*MicroDesign <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Micro_Design_Improvements>* [
edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Micro_Design_Improvements/status&action=edit>
]
The Agora extension moves ever-closer to completion, with help from Munaf
Assaf, Trevor Parscal, Rob Moen and Vibha Bamba. Several templates on the
English-language Wikipedia have been redesigned to reduce interface
clutter, with some already implemented.

*Editor engagement
experiments<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Editor_engagement_experiments>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Editor_engagement_experiments/status&action=edit>
]
In November, the Editor Engagement Experiments team (E3) deployed the third
and final A/B test of the new account creation
page<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ACUX>,
including client-side validation. Results from basic data analysis of all
three tests were published on Meta, and the project will now move to the
productization stage.
Extension:PostEdit<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PostEdit>was
put in maintenance mode after being deployed to a further seven
Wikipedias, including French and Portuguese. On the analytics side, E3
transitioned permanently to
Extension:EventLogging<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EventLogging>for
data collection purposes, and collaborated with the mobile team to
track activity on Wikipedia's mobile beta. Last but not least, the team
also deployed a small design improvement to the personal
tools<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Personal_tools>menu in MediaWiki
core.
 Multimedia

*UploadWizard <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/UploadWizard>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=UploadWizard/status&action=edit>
]
The work of Ankur Anand (a.k.a drecodream) on Flickr integration, done
during GSoC, has now been merged, and Wikimedia engineers are working
towards its deployment in the near future. Specifically, several bugs
related to Internet Explorer were fixed. Once all the bug fixes are
deployed, the feature will be turned on for Commons (hopefully in early
December). Initially it will only be available to administrators.
 Architecture & Platform support

*Notifications <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Echo_%28Notifications%29>* [
edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Echo_%28Notifications%29/status&action=edit>
]
This month, we designed and started building key features of the
Notifications project (code-named 'Echo'), towards a first experimental
deployment in early 2013. Fabrice Florin wrote detailed feature
requirements<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Echo/Feature_requirements>for
our first release, and Vibha Bamba designed the first components of
the user
experience <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Echo_User_Experience>. Ryan
Kaldari and Benny Situ developed the main features of this application,
including the notifications flyout, the all-notifications archive, as well
as email notifications and preferences. To test our work in progress, visit
our first prototype
<http://ee-prototype.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page>(create an account and
post on your talkpage from a separate account). New
employee Luke Welling
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:LWelling>is also starting
work on an HTML email module for this project. For more
information, visit our project hub <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Echo>,
or check our overview
slides<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Echo-Overview-Slides-10-18-2012.pdf>
.

*Messaging <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Flow/status&action=edit>
]
The official start of Flow will follow
Echo<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Echo>development. An initial team
will be forming next month to explore
solutions here.
 Support

*2012 Wikimedia
fundraiser<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/2012_Wikimedia_fundraiser>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=2012_Wikimedia_fundraiser/status&action=edit>
]
November has been a busy month for Fundraising as the team helped to
kick-off the annual 2012 fundraiser on November 26th with heavy testing
before then. So far the 2012 fundraiser has been a resounding success
raising over $12M in the 5 full days and limited testing days since
November 15th. For current information, see the live
stats<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:FundraiserStatistics>
.
Shortly before the full launch, it was announced that the annual fundraiser
would be splitting into an English-language fundraiser in Australia,
Canada, Great Britain, the United States and New Zealand during the
traditional November/December period with other languages and all countries
in April. For more details see the announcement on
wikimedia-l<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2012-November/122811.html>
.
 Mobile <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Mobile_engineering> The
Mobile team (Jon Robson, Juliusz Gonera, Arthur Richards and Max Semenik)
deployed several features to our beta and production mobile web
infrastructure this month. To beta, we deployed experimental edit
functionality, reformatted tables, random article support, simpler layout
for cleanup templates, and watchlists. For production, we added log-in
support.

*GeoData Storage & API<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/GeoData_Storage_%26_API>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=GeoData_Storage_%26_API/status&action=edit>
]
We plan to start deploying Solr-based GeoData in early December.

*Wikipedia Zero <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Zero>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_Zero/status&action=edit>
]
This month we've worked with volunteer developers at the Bangalore DevCamp
on our SMS feature, and are preparing for the launch of additional partners
in the next few weeks.

*J2ME App <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MobileFrontend/J2ME_app>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=MobileFrontend/J2ME_app/status&action=edit>
]
We approved the initial J2ME app and are exploring next steps for
deployment and creating additional versions to support a larger base of
handsets.

*Wikipedia over SMS &
USSD<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikipedia_over_SMS_%26_USSD>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_over_SMS_%26_USSD/status&action=edit>
]
This month, we've worked with volunteer developers at the Bangalore
DevCamp<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bangalore_DevCamp_November_2012>to
start supporting an important variant of our upcoming text messaging
support. We currently have the SMS/USSD combination working and awaiting
launch, and we are now working on the SMS-only version for carriers that
cannot support USSD.

*Mobile QA <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mobile_QA>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Mobile_QA/status&action=edit>
]
We have created several automated Mobile browser-based tests that are now
running our Cloud Bees/Sauce Lab Continuous Integration configuration. Both
Platform engineering and Mobile QA are leveraging Watir Webdriver and
Cucumber <https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Given-When-Then/>. We
also continue to add to our Mobile Browser Regression
Tests<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mobile_Browser_Regression_Tests>
.
 Offline

*Kiwix <http://www.kiwix.org>*
A new project, Phpzim <http://www.kiwix.org/index.php/Phpzim>, was started
with the support of Wikimedia CH. This project will create a binding in PHP
of the zimlib <http://www.openzim.org/Zimlib>, allowing any PHP developer
to easily create and read ZIM files. This is the first stone of a bigger
project to allow quick ZIM file generation in Mediawiki (and also other PHP
CMSes). Work on ZIM Autobuild
<http://www.kiwix.org/index.php/ZIM_Autobuild>continues and Kiwix ZIM
throughput increases slowly (4 files in November).
Small testing stage of Kiwix 0.9rc2 <http://changelog.kiwix.org> will
finally start in early December, followed by the release.  Platform
Engineering <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Platform_Engineering>
MediaWiki
Core

*MediaWiki 1.21 <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21/Roadmap>* [
edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki_1.21/Roadmap/status&action=edit>
]
Wikimedia engineers deployed
1.21wmf3<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21/wmf3>and
1.21wmf4 <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21/wmf4> to all
Wikimedia sites, and began deploying
1.21wmf5<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21/wmf5>(with a
momentary breakage<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-November/064718.html>).
These updates included many significant improvements, including one-click
(AJAX) patrolling, for both new page and diff patrol, and a Template
Sandbox<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:TemplateSandbox>,
which lets users preview changes to a template by previewing an example
page where it's used.

*Git conversion <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Conversion>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Git/Conversion/status&action=edit>
]
We're still very much looking forward to deploying the latest version of
Gerrit (see last month's update), but unfortunately remain blocked on a
complicated LDAP propagation issue. Chad Horohoe is working with the Gerrit
developers on finalizing the fix for this issue. Chad also attended the
Gerrit Developer Summit in November, and both Chad and Rob Lanphier
attended the Gerrit Users Summit
(notes<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-November/064550.html>
).

*TimedMediaHandler <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/TimedMediaHandler>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=TimedMediaHandler/status&action=edit>
]
We have deployed TimedMediaHandler to all wikis. Jan Gerber and Michael
Dale continue to fix bugs. Jan Gerber and Aaron Schulz are working on an
improved file upload mechanism in UploadWizard to make larger file uploads
more practical.

*Wikidata deployment <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikidata_deployment>* [
edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Wikidata_deployment/status&action=edit>
]
Chris Steipp and Chad Horohoe have reviewed the Wikibase set of extensions,
as well as DataValues. Deployment of these extensions is planned for
December.

*Wikivoyage migration <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikivoyage_migration>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Wikivoyage_migration/status&action=edit>
]
Wikivoyage was launched into public beta on November 10. The site is
running on Wikimedia servers, and accounts and text content was migrated.
Images from the old site have not been automatically imported, because some
contain non-free content, and need to be added to each language wiki in
accordance with the Exemption Doctrine
Policy<https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage:Non-free_content#Exemption_Doctrine_Policy>for
that site. Public announcement and promotion of the site is delayed
while the community is working on the image transfer.

*SwiftMedia <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/SwiftMedia>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=SwiftMedia/status&action=edit>
]
Thumbnails (and math/timeline files) are now written to nas1 and Swift.
More improvements have been made to FileBackend to avoid extra HEAD
requests for 404 errors. Webm thumbnails use temporary Swift URLs to
support range requests. Feature requests and bugs reports are filed against
Ceph as MediaWiki takes advantage of other Swift features.

*Lua scripting <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua_scripting>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Lua_scripting/status&action=edit>
]
Brad Jorsch and Chad Horohoe have joined Tim Starling on this project. Brad
has built a template
sandbox<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:TemplateSandbox>which
will help in debugging both Lua scripts and regular templates. Chad
is working on a shared repository for scripts, and Tim has been extending
the API. His latest work has been around adding multilingual APIs for
handling things like plurals within Lua. We're currently seeking a
volunteer product
manager<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/11/21/lead-development-process-product-adviser-manager/>to
help out with the roll-out of this.

*Site performance <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Site_performance>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Site_performance/status&action=edit>
]
Various improvements to the job queue have been made to avoid CPU time
wasted on duplicate jobs and redundant page cache purges. Changes have also
been made to make it possible to edit heavily used templates without
timeouts.

*Incremental architectural
improvements<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Incremental_architectural_improvements>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Incremental_architectural_improvements/status&action=edit>
]
Support needed for more complex data structures (lists, sets) in memcached
(with atomic updates) is awaiting more review and testing. The coding is
essentially done (changeset <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/25879/>).

*Admin tools development<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Admin_tools_development>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Admin_tools_development/status&action=edit>
]
The team's work continued on writing an interface for Stewards to mass-lock
user accounts<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Admin_tools_development/CentralAuth_Locking>and
on being able to use AbuseFilter
extension <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter> across all
wikis at once.

*MediaWiki 1.20 <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.20/Roadmap>* [
edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki_1.20/Roadmap/status&action=edit>
]
Mark Hershberger published the MediaWiki
1.20<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.20>stable tarball on
November 7th. Chris Steipp published a security update
(1.20.1) on November 29th.

*REST proposal <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API/REST_proposal>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=API/REST_proposal/status&action=edit>
]
Wikia wants to attract motivated app developers and companies using Wikia's
products to use the API. They also want to make the API more
standards-compliant (a RESTful interface, using HTTP verbs), but that's a
high-level goal. Mobile-related work is first, but this redesign would
improve the whole platform, including the enterprise. The Wikimedia
Foundation and Wikia want to work together on this; The Wikimedia
Foundation also wants to avoid boxing ourselves into special-purpose,
specific apps. Wikia developer Federico Lucignano is currently working on a
Request for comments on the REST proposal.

*Security auditing and
response<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Security_auditing_and_response>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Security_auditing_and_response/status&action=edit>
]
The team continued to respond to several reported vulnerabilities, and
released new versions of all supported MediaWiki branches (1.20.1, 1.19.3,
1.18.6) to address vulnerabilities in core. Significant security reviews
continued for Wikidata and Wikivoyage extensions.
 Quality assurance

*QA and testing <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/QA_and_testing>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=QA_and_testing/status&action=edit>
]
The team contributed to the community QA draft
strategy<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/QA/Strategy>and presented the
Acceptance Test-Driven Development concept to Wikimedia
Product/Project managers. Regression testing of software deployments is
ongoing.

*Beta cluster <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Beta_cluster>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Beta_cluster/status&action=edit>
]
We deployed ArticleFeedbackv5<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ArticleFeedbackv5>to
the beta cluster, which is the primary host for AFTv5 testing,
including
browser test automation. New Page
Patrol<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NPP>is being maintained
there as well. We are still working on issues of
ongoing maintenance, and this cluster played a
role<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-November/064718.html>in
catching a defect that recently escaped to production.

*Continuous integration<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Continuous_integration>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Continuous_integration/status&action=edit>
]
  A continuous integration
summit<http://filipin.eu/utrecht-amsterdam-2012/>occurred during the
Netherlands
Hackathon <https://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon_2012/en>.
integration-jenkins2 is now fully operational with Jenkins / Gerrit and a
Zuul installation. Antoine Musso has generated the new MediaWiki core
Jenkins jobs. Zuul<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Continuous_integration/Zuul>has
been deployed in production successfully. It triggers a new set of
Jenkins jobs that will eventually replace the old MediaWiki-.* ones. The
new Jenkins jobs for MediaWiki core (triggered by Zuul) have been tested in
production and are successful. The new
workflow<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Continuous_integration/Workflow>has
been documented.

*Browser testing <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Browser_testing>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Browser_testing/status&action=edit>
]
In November, the QA team created a backlog of tests to be
automated<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/QA/test_backlog>,
ported existing tests from RSpec to Cucumber, and is now working on browser
testing architecture, creating basic new tests (see the
qa/browsertestsrepository in Gerrit), and refactoring tests for
cleanliness. Chris McMahon
began discussing automated browser tests with Wikimedia tech managers to
get developers writing those tests as they develop extensions deployed on
Wikimedia sites; public announcement will be coming very soon, when the
existing example tests are in final or near-final form. Noisy tests failing
for known reasons have been removed from the suite, which is now completely
green (that is, passing); the team will soon be writing and adding more
tests. Browser tests in November identified a serious regression in
UploadWizard running on test2 <http://test2.wikipedia.org> and prevented
its release to production.
 Analytics

*Kraken (Analytics Cluster)<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Kraken>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Analytics/Kraken/status&action=edit>
]
The Analytics team has received all of the hardware purchased back in the
Spring. The Hadoop nodes have been moved onto their final homes. Evan Rosen
from the Global Development team is helping us test this setup with real
use cases for his team. Kafka has been puppetized and installed. It is
currently consuming all of Banner Impression- and Wikpedia Zero-related
logs. As a proof of concept, the Zero logs are being fed daily into Hadoop
for analysis by the Global Development team. Debs for Storm have been
built. Storm has been puppetized and is running on several of the Cisco
nodes.

*Limn <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics/Limn>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Analytics/Limn/status&action=edit>
]
David Schoonover and Dan Andreescu are working on a major rework of Limn,
using Knockout.js and d3.js. The team hopes to have this ready to present
the metrics for the December 6 metrics meeting at the Wikimedia Foundation.
 Engineering community team

*Bug management <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bug_management>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Bug_management/status&action=edit>
]
Andre Klapper <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Malyacko> improved and
cleaned up updated large parts of the bug
management<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bug_management>and Bugzilla
documentation. This includes the beginnings of a triage
guide <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bug_management/How_to_triage>. He
also published his Greasemonkey scripts in a Git
repository<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=wikimedia/bugzilla/triagescripts.git;a=summary>and
went through obsolete extensions and updated their Bugzilla
descriptions. Andre started analyzing how Wikimedia engineering teams use
Bugzilla and their related workflows. He also investigated a potential
upgrade of Bugzilla to version 4.2 by doing some basic testing.
Furthermore, a wikitech-l
discussion<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-November/064531.html>on
standardizing the meaning of "highest priority" in Bugzilla resulted
in
creating a new "Immediate" priority status.

*Mentorship programs <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs>* [
edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Mentorship_programs/status&action=edit>
]
The first phase of the Outreach Program for
Women<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreach_Program_for_Women>(OPW)
has been completed, receiving the submissions of more than 15 firm
candidates, delivered to 8 mentors available. The Wikimedia Foundation is
funding 4 full-time internship positions between January and March 2013.
There is a possibility to obtain more, depending on external sponsors of
the program. The selected candidates will be announced on December 11. The
OPW is organized by the GNOME Foundation and 11 FLOSS projects are taking
part.

*Technical communications<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Technical_communications>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Technical_communications/status&action=edit>
]
Management reviewed options to determine the direction this activity would
follow in future months. In the meantime, Guillaume
Paumier<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Guillom>cleaned up and
expanded the Wikimedia
glossary <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Glossary> with terms related to
Wikimedia technology and engineering, and volunteers & engineers came to
expand it further. He also followed up on the consultation
process<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Technical_communications/Fall_2012_consultation>initiated
in October to identify how to improve dialogue between technical
communities and user communities. He's now in the process of widening this
discussion to more communities. Sumana
Harihareswara<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Sharihareswara_%28WMF%29>sent
a call
for volunteers<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/11/21/lead-development-process-product-adviser-manager/>to
lead or advise Wikimedia engineering staff on select activities, and
followed up on the offers.

*Volunteer coordination and
outreach<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Volunteer_coordination_and_outreach>
* [edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Volunteer_coordination_and_outreach/status&action=edit>
]
Sumana Harihareswara <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Sumanah> started
sharing new volunteer coordination tasks with Quim
Gil<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil>,
the new technical contributor coordinator who started working with the
Wikimedia foundation in November. They continued to follow up on contacts
(such as those gained at October's Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in
Computing), recruit new contributors to the Wikimedia tech community, and
mentor newer contributors. The weekly online tech
chats<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Meetings>continued on Thursdays.
Sumana and others continued to grant developer
access <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_access> and work on Gerrit
project ownership
requests<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Gerrit_project_ownership>
.
 Language engineering<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Language_engineering>

*Language tools <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Language_tools>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Language_tools/status&action=edit>
]
In November 2012, the Language Engineering team travelled to India for 10
days together with the Mobile team for 6 events in total: the two-day Language
Summit <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Pune_LanguageSummit_November_2012>at
the Red Hat offices in Pune, a Language
Engineering Community Meetup in
Pune<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Pune_Language_Engineering_Meetup_November_2012>,
the three-day DevCamp 2012
Bangalore<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bangalore_DevCamp_November_2012>,
a Language Engineering Community Meetup in
Bangalore<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bangalore_Language_Engineering_Meetup_November_2012>,
a presentation by Erik
Moeller<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Eloquence>on the current
state of tech in the Wikimedia Foundation, and
*Coffee with Arky*, a meetup of Mozilla users.

The rest of the month, development time was spent on completing the
Universal Language Selector, and getting it to a state where it could be
put in maintenance mode for a few months. In April 2013, phase two of the
ULS will start, will consist of adding content language selection.
The Language Engineering designers completed the design for the Translation
UX <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Translation_UX> project, for which
development has commenced end of November, and will continue for 8 sprints
of a fortnight<https://mingle.corp.wikimedia.org/projects/internationalization/cards/1962>,
until mid-March 2013.

*Milkshake <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Milkshake>*
[edit<https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Milkshake/status&action=edit>
]
The first phase of the Universal Language
Selector<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Universal_Language_Selector>(ULS)
was completed in November. The jQuery modules
jQuery.ULS <https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.uls>,
jQuery.IME<https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.uls>,
jQuery Webfonts <https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.webfonts> and jQuery
i18n <https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.i18n> have had their first stable
version. The Universal Language
Selector<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector>MediaWiki
extension is now being used on
Wikidata <https://en.wikidata.org/wiki/>. During the DevCamp in
Bangalore<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bangalore_DevCamp_November_2012>,
experimentations were done with ULS in Android, a Chrome extension was
created to make jQuery.IME usable in the Chrome web browser, and an
extension for Firefox implementing the input methods is underway. The first
contributions by non-Wikimedia developers have been made, which indicates
that the jQuery extensions are getting some attention. The Wikimedia
Language Engineering team will now put the modules and MediaWiki extension
in maintenance mode until April 2013.
 Wikidata <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata>

*The Wikidata project is funded and executed by Wikimedia
Deutschland<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/en>
.*
The repository side of Wikidata has been
launched<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-10-29/Technology_report>on
http://www.wikidata.org. It contains the results of phase 1 (language
links) and has already attracted a community to maintain the wiki.
Meanwhile, the Wikidata team has continued work on Phase 2 of Wikidata
(Infoboxes) to add statements with values to the items in the Wikidata
repository. The team improved the propagation of changes from the
repository to the client and the messaging in Recent Changes. There is a
constant exchange with Wikimedia Foundation engineers about the upcoming
deployment cycle. Feedback and questions are welcome on the mailing
list<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikidata-l>and on
meta <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikidata>.  Future The
engineering management team continues to update the *Software
deployments<http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Software_deployments>
* page weekly, providing up-to-date information on the upcoming deployments
to Wikimedia sites, as well as the *engineering
roadmap<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Roadmap>
*, listing ongoing and future Wikimedia engineering efforts.

--
Guillaume Paumier
Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation