[Wikimedia-l] Proposal: MediaWiki Groups

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 4 17:24:57 UTC 2012

Hi, here you have a draft about MediaWiki Groups, and implicitly
MediaWiki reps:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil/MediaWiki_groups

Imagine

MediaWiki Amsterdam Group
MediaWiki HTML5 Group
MediaWiki Women Group

MediaWiki groups organize open source community activities within the
scope of specific topics or geographical areas. They extend the capacity
of the Wikimedia Foundation in technical events, training, promotion and
other technical activities benefiting Wikipedia, the Wikimedia movement
and the MediaWiki software.

This proposal is being discussed in the MediaWiki context and goes in
accordance with the Wikimedia Foundation short term goals [1]. Feedback
from the wider Wikimedia community is welcome, especially on how to
combine these groups with chapters and other existing Wikimedia entities.

Note that these are intended to be _just_ groups, not formal
organizations legally constituted. We are looking after simple processes
for creation and management of these groups with basically zero budget.

We expect these groups to become a main delegation/empowerment tool to
organize more, more distributed and more diverse technical activities.
They fit perfectly in the Wikimedia Foundation strategy and the way the
Wikimedia movement grows.

Please bring your ideas to the discussion page - or here. Thank you!

[1] Find mentions to "user groups" at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2012-13_Goals#Milestones_by_quarter_17

--
Quim Gil