[Wikimedia-l] Banners are too bright, too long

Zack Exley zexley at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 3 23:06:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the detailed thoughts, Zack!
>
> Did we run banners on the sister projects as well?

This year, we haven't so far.

> It would also be great to experiment with running targeted banner messages
> and presentations on the sister projects, particularly Commons and
> Wiktionary, to see what the visitor response is like. We've certainly had
> some good suggested designs in the past.

As you say, readers love discovering that we're a non-profit and how we
> run.  This is one of our opportunities each year to rejoice in the work of
> the projects, get feedback, and hold a large-scale barnraising for the
> coming year's work.  It's good to reduce the total amount of time people
> see banners on the projects, but also a very positive thing for all
> projects to take part.

I'd love to see a barn raising for participation instead of fundraising. So
little money comes from the other projects that it's actually
counterproductive from a revenue perspective.

If the only reason to do the fundraiser on those projects is to have a
coming together of the community, then why not do it around invitations to
participate instead of to donate?

> SJ

Zack Exley
Chief Revenue Officer