[Wikimedia-l] Banners are too bright, too long

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 20:25:33 UTC 2012

On 3 December 2012 20:11, Pavel Richter <pavel.richter at wikimedia.de> wrote:
> "the thing we are selling to people" As I see it, we are not *selling
> *anything.
> Wikimedia provides a free encyclopedia to the public, and it promotes Free
> Knowledge worldwide. For this, we ask for donations, during a limited time
> each year, and with very humble messaging and banners. We do not have to be
> ashamed to do so.

The difference between fundraising and sales is pretty small - both
are about convincing people to part with their cash. We have to
convince people that donating money to us is a good idea in exactly
the same way a company needs to convince people that buying their
product is a good idea - you do that by emphasising your key selling
points. In our case, being ad-free is one of our key selling points,
which is the point Mono was making.