[Wikimedia-l] Banners are too bright, too long

Mono monomium at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 19:45:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Ziko van Dijk <vandijk at wmnederland.nl>wrote:

> Hello,
> After all the experience and A/B-testing, I have confidence in the
> banners. My personal taste wouldn't matter.
> Kind regards
> Ziko

Yes, but brighter doesn't mean better. The A/B testing results apparently
show a small difference between bright yellow and something more subtle
like http://awesomescreenshot.com/0dcogli4f

As another person said, the thing we are selling to people is an ad-free
encyclopedia, yet we are using some of the most hated web banner techniques
like pullouts, floaters, and painfully bright colors.

Even the original facts banner in a blue was better - on every screen I've
seen, I want to get rid of that banner as fast as possible. Wikipedia
content is pretty plain and that banner is bright yellow.