[Wikimedia-l] Banners are too bright, too long

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:21:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 2:09 AM, Magnus Manske
<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3 December 2012 09:04, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>> > For easier comparability of the two banner behaviors -
>> > Activation on hover (current behavior):
>> >
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Lorenzo?banner=B12_5C_120216_SuperCondensed_Hover
>>

>> ... yeah, that's the sort of behaviour that inspires ad-blockers.
>>
>> Wouldn't be quite so bad if they shrunk again when you moved the mouse out
> of the ad/form region...

I think it would be slightly better if the donation page quote that
appears on the hover didn't say "When I founded Wikipedia, I could
have made it into a for-profit company with advertising banners,":
having that phrase in the banner itself sounded pretty discordant to
me, at least (could just drop the word 'banner' and leave it at
'advertising'?). Anyway, yes, the other non-hover ones were less
annoying, especially the ones that were all facts and no fundraising
letter phrases.

All that said: hooray for our fundraising team, for running one of the
best fundraisers yet and in general, for making what might be the most
complex and effective website fundraiser ever look easy. :) Thanks!

-- phoebe