[Wikimedia-l] Banners are too bright, too long

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 03:29:30 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Mono <monomium at gmail.com> wrote:

>  They are now expanded
> by default

Not //quite// the case, actually. So far as I can see, the banners slide
open when you mouse over them, but stay closed by default.

I think it's kind of bad tactic, since it defies user expectations that
actions are triggered by clicks, not on hover. But it is fairly common
among some advertisers. One thing that might balance this out would be
making the close icon more high profile (previous banners have had a proper
icon, rather than a simple letter-like X).

One plus: the new dropdown takes up less space on the page than the
previous version, since the Jimmy appeal seems to be either removed or
squashed to a smaller size.

Steven