[Wikimedia-l] [cc-licenses] The termination provision

Diane Peters diane at creativecommons.org
Mon Aug 27 14:57:54 UTC 2012

To answer Greg's question, in 3.0:

"You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this License
who has not previously violated the terms of this License with respect to
the Work, or who has received express permission from the Licensor to
exercise rights under this License despite a previous violation.

In 4.0d2, we moved the "express permission"  to the termination provision
in Section 5(a), the intention being the same operation as in 3.0 but
placed in a more appropriate location in the license.

This Public License is perpetual for the duration of the term of the
underlying copyright or Copyright-like Rights licensed by Licensor. If You
fail to comply with any condition of this Public License, this Public
License terminates automatically, and You must obtain express approval from
Licensor to use the Work thereafter.

As already noted, this is open for discussion and we welcome this
discussion.

Diane

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com>wrote:

> The original line of thought on:
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Sandbox#Termination
> is: "Any licensee is banned from using the work again, even to correct
> his mistake." However, is this correct?
>
> Termination of license may perhaps _not_ preclude that a licensee can
> enter into a new agreement (fresh use of the license) after the
> violating condition was fixed ("cured"). (GPL wording seems to imply
> that this is impossible, but this is not further explained).
>
> Is it possible to take out a CC license again for the same work, after
> violations have been fixed? (If yes this discussion can be closed).
>
> Gregor

Diane M. Peters, General Counsel
Creative Commons
cell: +1 503-803-8338
skype:  peterspdx
email:diane at creativecommons.org
http://creativecommons.org/staff#dianepeters

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be legal
advice nor should they be relied upon as, or represented to be legal
advice.  Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice. You
need to assess the suitability of Creative Commons tools for your
particular situation, which may include obtaining appropriate legal
advice from a licensed attorney.