[Wikimedia-l] Copyright on Xrays

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Aug 23 12:51:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:34 AM,  <Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2012, at 4:41 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>> I could be wrong, but I'm not sure there's a requirement for aesthetic
>> or artistic purpose.  Non-fiction, software, legal contracts, etc.,
>> all have been held to be copyrightable.
>
> I think you are overestimating the very minimal amount of creativity that is required to here.

Not at all.  I'm just saying that creativity isn't necessarily art.  A
legal contract may be quite creative.  But it isn't art.

>> Either way, it's a question of fact what instructions were given to
>> the X-ray tech, as well as whether or not the tech followed them.
>>

> I disagree here, the intention of the creator has no more to do with copyright than effort
> expended.

Hmm...you may be right on that.  If I accidentally spill some paint on
a canvas and it creates an image that looks like the Virgin Mary, do I
have a copyright on the image?

I'm not sure what the case law is on that one.