[Wikimedia-l] Copyright on Xrays

Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 13:14:17 UTC 2012

On Aug 21, 2012, at 3:17 PM, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 1:19 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21 August 2012 19:44,  <Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Utilitarian work = uncopyrightable
>>

>> Only under a fairly limited number of legal systems.

[[ciatation needed]]

I really doubt non-artistic works are copyrighted as a general rule anywhere (. . . but I have been wrong before).

Now clearly being able to judge that X is a utilitarian work is the more normal problem with this argument and why it is seldom used. Diagnostic images are one of the few clear-cut situations.

And even if it is only the US, other countries would not recognize copyright on diagnostic images created in the US, which gives us at least the NASA situation.

Birgitte SB