[Wikimedia-l] Copyright on Xrays

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Aug 20 11:45:17 UTC 2012

Under US law (I know very little about the law of other countries):

Unless the patient somehow contributed creatively to the image (broke
his bones in a certain creative pattern), it's certainly not the HMO
or patient.  If the X-ray tech is an employee, then it's certainly not
the X-ray tech.

The possibilities would be:

1) Public domain
2) Anyone who contributed creatively to the image (I guess that would
be the X-ray tech?), if they weren't an employee
3) The employer of 2, if they were an employee.
4) Someone who commissioned the work of 2 or 3 for part of a
collective work or compilation.
5) Someone who was assigned copyright in a written transfer.

I would say 2 or 3 would probably be the most likely.