[Wikimedia-l] Copyright on Xrays

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 11:39:46 UTC 2012

On 20 August 2012 12:30, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com> wrote:
> a) if the picture is taken automatically by machine in routine way (in
> case of X-ray, NMR and some other techinques this is usually atomatic
> and routine) - they are not copyrightable, as this is not any creative
> work.

I think you are underestimating the skill involved in medical imaging.
For example, if you want to take an x-ray of a broken arm, you need to
make sure the arm is oriented in the right way and the x-ray is at the
right angle so that the break is clearly visible. That sounds like
enough creativity to create copyright to me.