[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 07:26:59 UTC 2012

Tilman Bayer, 08/04/2012 12:02 AM:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
> wrote:
>> Tilman Bayer, 29/07/2012 18:28:
>>
>>> Regarding the "normal levels", I suppose you haven't yet had a chance
>>> to look at http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/graphs/active_editors ?
>>

>> Yes and it shows that there's still an increase over the pre-WLM situation.
> Given the size of the normal monthly fluctuations (e.g. July-August
> 2011: +0.3K, August-October 2011: +0.2K), and the overall upwards
> trend during 2011-12, I find it hard to understand the objections to
> the interpretation "returning to normal levels".

I wasn't objecting to it, I only asked where to find the data. :-)
To me, it seems to have stabilized on a slightly higher level.

>> Actually I was reading
>> <http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikispecial/EN/TablesWikipediaCOMMONS.htm> which
>> shows the numbers better but still doesn't have the total number of
>> uploaders/ussers with at least one edit in a given month.
> It does show the number of users with at least one upload, and those
> with at least one mainspace edit (look further down). As an aside, it
> also contains numbers for uploads made using UploadWizard, strongly
> supporting the statement that much of the 2011-12 growth was due to
> this usability improvement, cf. the statement on slide 25 you already
> cited below.

Ah, thank you, I forgot the Commons-specific part of the page: that's
what I was looking for, with the 22642 uploaders number. :-)
<http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikispecial/EN/TablesWikipediaCOMMONS.htm#uploader_activity_levels>
To me, this table shows that uploaders were stabilized (for a few
months) at about:
* 15k total / 0k with UW "before the UploadWizard";
* 16k / 9k after it;
* 18k / 13k after WLM.
Which would show a progressive switch to UW (also by very active
uploaders), boosted by WLM, and a stable increase of uploaders after UW+WLM.
This poor man reading of the tables doesn't provide reliable
indications, of course; I do have a slightly different opinion than the
one the annual plan seems to be implying (speaking of WLM "only" as one
of the short-term activity boosters), but the conclusion is the same:
WLM and UW had a wonderful synergy and are the way to go (with the
mobile app this year).

Nemo