[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia redefined -- typography and UX and such

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 22:17:32 UTC 2012

IIRC: languages defaulted closed in a first iteration of the new skin,
and then following discussion/complaints they was set to default open
again. Please don't ask me for links to said discussion, I don't
remember where it was :)

Re: the redesigns --
Personally I don't like this particular proposed redesign, but I do
like in general the idea of people redesigning and remixing WP. Maybe
the page Steven started can evolve into a portal for potential
redesigns, design contests, resources for designers (especially for
people who actually want to get serious with the skin), and community
design challenges... eg SJ suggests that wikipedia.org and
wikimedia.org need love, I'd add the front page of the english
wikipedia to my personal wish-it-were-more-beautiful list!

-- phoebe

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Open by default for me too on all the browsers I have access to.
> The question still came up at Wikimania :-/
>
> Unfair of me to ascribe it to the skin.  I suppose we've been hiding the
> existence of other languages since the transition from having them above
> the page title in Classic :-)
>
> SJ
>
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM, James Alexander <jamesofur at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > cover
>> >

>> > Oh, someone changed this from defaulting open (like they were finally
>> > convinced to) to defaulting closed? That's nice. Who did this and
>> > when?
>> >

>> > - d.
>> >

>> hmm, I'm still seeing it as defaulting open (Tested in new private session
>> on firefox and  incognito window on chrome).
>>

>> --
>> James Alexander
>> jamesofur at gmail.com

> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266