[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia redefined -- typography and UX and such

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 18:03:27 UTC 2012

Ah, it is quite beautiful.  Thanks to the designers for sharing their
visual ideas.  I love seeing design fantasies like this; more please.

The rainbows and color-bars are beautiful, even though some people (in my
family too :) are colorblind.  The color bar would work just fine without
hue, since the one you are focused on gets highlighted and captioned. But I
think that is not the most interesting part of their designs!

On wikipedia.org (and wikimedia.org ...!): it's due for some visual love.
 We could make the search-bar bigger and central, minimize extra text, and
make search and sister projects a visible focus, without hiding
language-names behind a dropdown.

When it comes to hiding the existence of other languages... our current
skin has done that so effectively, that this design team didn't even cover
the 'Other languages' sidebar in their design.  [and every month some
long-time reader of wikipedia asks me why we stopped including links to
other languages, which they found useful!]

Hopefully after discussion with them these images/screencaps are usable as
ideas in the on-wiki discussions.

SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266