[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia redefined -- typography and UX and such

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 08:09:01 UTC 2012

I think they would consider it a vast improvement over what we have, and a
10-year leap forward. :) So, all I can say is: Yes, please, Brandon.

However, the Signpost Op-Ed contains one statement I can't let pass without
comment:

"... featured articles are so good precisely because they are edited by so
many."

Brandon, if you follow WP:FAC for any length of time, or try to write a
Featured Article yourself, you'll realise that any Featured Articles
Wikipedia has are the work of usually one, or at most two or three editors
who sat down and decided to take an article to Featured status, and have
been watching the article like hawks ever since it acquired that status.

It may be an article of faith within Wikimedia that crowdsourcing leads to
superb articles, but it's not one experience has borne out. Once Featured
articles stop being watched and are indeed edited "by many" people, they
typically decay within a few years, and end up for delisting at WP:FAR.

Andreas