[Wikimedia-l] Outage: what I'm telling the press

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:50:16 UTC 2012

Richard, that is fine. But surely you can see that it's inappropriate to
have the BBC imply, on a day when we have an outage, that we're strapped
for cash to keep Wikipedia running, holding the site together "with gaffer
tape and string", and need donations, while in fact we have built up
reserves of $27.7 million, equivalent to a full year's spending at
2011-2012 levels, and Wikimedians struggle to come up with zany ideas on
how to spend £10k. Nothing against barges, and canals ... I love them.

By the way, any further ideas for a Wikimedia UK project can be added to
this page:

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/2013_Activity_Plan/Ideas

Andreas