[Wikimedia-l] WMF Policy and Political Affiliations Guideline

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 19:06:26 UTC 2012

On 3 August 2012 19:12, Michael Snow <wikipedia at frontier.com> wrote:

> I agree that the community retains the authority to reach its own decisions
> about future actions of this type. I think the policy should be understood
> primarily as something the foundation will adhere to in its operations, not
> something that regulates the community's autonomy.

And, arguably: disabling Italian or Russian Wikipedia (which are very
sizable and popular sites) did not require as much WMF coordination as
disabling English Wikipedia, which remains around a third, IIRC, of
our size, load and readership - that took much more serious technical
consideration, and the Foundation is the relevant body.

- d.