[Wikimedia-l] WMF Policy and Political Affiliations Guideline

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Fri Aug 3 15:24:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:14 AM,  <wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> bharris at wikimedia.org wrote:
>>       This is inserting a conspiracy theory where one does not exist.
>>
>>       The English Wikipedia community voted on the blackout and directed it into existence, not the Foundation. We merely facilitated.
>
> The proposal was floated by Jimmy Wales on the 10th of december, 1 day after a Creative Commons Board meeting, on which he sits alongside the mother-in-law of Sergy Brin (Google), and on which sit other representatives of other internet mega-corporations that derive profit from user uploaded contents much of which is pirated, or who make money from advertising on pirate sites.

I don't know what "other representatives" you could be referring to.

> On the 14th of December Creative Commons was also calling for a blackout/action over SOPA.

I wrote the December 14 post and an earlier one on the subject
November 11, see http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/30836 and
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/30375 respectively and started
the conversation inside CC about joining other blackouts in January.
Nobody on the CC board prompted these things. They were notified and
didn't give any pushback to CC staff AFAICT.

> Whether you realize it or not you were manipulated by mega-corporations to stick it to the musicians, photographers, and authors, so that said corporations could better profit from the theft of their works.

It is true that I did not wear a tinfoil hat continuously throughout
the period above.

Mike