[Wikimedia-l] COI+ certification proposal

Yann Forget yannfo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 11:13:47 UTC 2012

Hello,

Conflict of Interest (CoI) is a much bigger issue than paid editing.
I have seen several serious CoI within Wikipedia where the editors are
not strictly paid because they edit WP, nevertheless they do not
respect the basic NPOV rules: allowing other opinions to be heard,
balancing sources from various organisations (medias / professional /
non profit organisations, etc.).
I have suggested some basic rules about this on the French WP, but not
only they were blankly rejected, but I was barred from mentioning the
whole subject. The first step against CoI is making the editors
conscious that, because of their profession, background, culture,
etc., they may have a bias on a subject.

Yann