[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: European Mathematical Society and Springer create Encyclopedia of Mathematics wiki...

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 17:36:19 UTC 2012

On 20 April 2012 18:10, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Notice that it is seeded with 8,000 entries from the Kluwer-published
> "Encyclopaedia of Mathematics"; these articles remain under copyright
> to Springer/Kluwer. However, new contributions and edits will be
> licensed cc-by-sa. Seems like a fun copyright time to me...

Sounds like an interesting attempt at an open-core model (a.k.a.
having your cake and eating it). If an original article is changed to
the degree that no original text remains, will they claim the changes
are nevertheless derivative works? Contributing to such an
encyclopedia would be far too hazardous; if we are asked, we should
disrecommend putting oneself into legal danger in such a manner.

- d.