[Wikimedia-l] Breivik: My Biggest Influence Was Wikipedia

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 15:58:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> On 04/18/12 6:54 AM, Mike Dupont wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Fae<faenwp at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I just would prefer that this not be a launch pad for change or
>>> tangential discussions.
>>>
>>> fair enough! lets keep it that way. We dont want to give that
>>
>> madman Breivik more influence that he has.
>>

> The influence that people like Breivik have is nourished by feeding trolls.
>
> We have no control over how any individual may choose to [mis]interpret any
> article that he reads. Try as we may to choose our neutralities, there will
> always be someone to see it differently.

Sadly, he has a point. There are definite crusaders on the English Language
wikipedia, trying to keep it from acknowledging outside of europe influences.
Check the talk page for the list of oldest universities in the world.

Or check the article on Catalan Numbers. There is a sentence that baldly
claims Catalan Numbers were "invented here", and then there is a weasel
worded statement noting that evidence exists that Chinese Mathematicians
knew and used them.