[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia events: staging area?

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Thu Apr 19 12:19:22 UTC 2012

Hi all,

With all the Wikimedia events it is a problem that keeps coming back:
whether participants do or do not want to be photographed. Often we get to
a very crude binary result: either everything is allowed, or nothing at
all. And still most people seem to violate that simply.

Hence, I was thinking whether a more personal and photo specific option
would be available - allowing people to veto certain pictures before they
get 'really' published. After all, Commons doesn't allow deletion simply
because you dont like the quality or dont want to become public in that
position.

Would it be an option to create a staging area, where people can upload
their event photos of Wikimedia events, and where people can simply veto
their own pictures? The vetoing doesnt have to be water tight, but rather
easy. A password to enter the staging area for that specific event could be
given to the participants where they can check the photos and veto them.
Then we can proceed with 'no veto = published' and mass upload the
non-vetoed photos after a while to Wikimedia Commons.

If we can develop this centrally (and make it available to all Wikimedia
events) or install something on Wikimedia servers that already does this,
that would save a lot of event organizers headaches. Any feedback, anyone
who would be willing and able to pick this up?

Best,
Lodewijk