[Wikimedia-l] Breivik: My Biggest Influence Was Wikipedia

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:16:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:

> People like Breivik who have a desire to promote fringe views turn up to
> edit Wikipedia in droves. I would not be surprised if he had an account,
> like Bedell before him.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Pentagon_shooting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/JPatrickBedell

According to this article

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/rogaland/1.8045907

Breivik was indeed a contributor, to the Norwegian Wikipedia at least. And
he specifically mentioned Wikipedia in his manifesto as a vital propaganda
tool, saying:

"The European resistance movement must prioritize contributions to
Wikipedia, as a general method to introduce our worldview, our political
doctrines and our definition of history. Wikipedia should not be
underestimated as the primary source to create "established truths". We
must strive to present our views in the most favorable way, while we put
our enemies into disrepute. It is a venue we have to focus on."

In court, he specifically praised the content of the English Wikipedia,
according to Guardian reporter Helen Pidd. He apparently said that much of
his "learning" comes from Wikipedia and that "The English articles there
contain a lot of information".

Andreas