[Wikimedia-l] Facebook goes turncoat on the "squash internet freedom" battle.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 04:20:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:03 AM, Kirill Lokshin
<kirill.lokshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> The *real* issue though, is that Wikimedia lives on
>> trust,depends on the integrity of the internet. All
>> intelligent kids moving onto black nets; tight beam
>> Line of Sight Only UV-beam connections, means
>> they are going be much and much less on the "free"
>> internet, editing Wikimedia projects.
>

> People that would want to use ad-hoc line-of-sight links to avoid
> monitoring are probably going to want to do that regardless of whether
> CISPA is passed; if they mistrust the government to that degree, then
> they're probably not going to believe they're *not* being monitored in any
> case.

Ad hoc lines first, firm and indestructible fixed networks then, and finally
something with backbone nodes, then failsafe mechanisms, then an
irrational but jocular belief the network is eternal, and then collapse.
That's how highly complex networks work through the cycle. There
are exceptions. But they are darn rare in the universe.

As to who would want to do it, there were phreakers who genuinely
did it to do illegal things, but at somepoint it tipped and the whole
thing began to be cool. Hence Open Source.
generally evolve.th

> On the other hand, is the average Internet user likely to stop using and/or
> contributing to Wikimedia projects because of CISPA?  I would think not;
> generally speaking, accessing Wikimedia projects is not something that
> people wish to keep secret, particularly in the US.

A fiver says one in three readers just spilled their coffee on the keyboard.

> So, regardless of how anyone might personally feel about CISPA: is there
> any reason why Wikimedia *as a movement* should feel threatened by it?

I just told you. You want *more* reasons. That's just fine. I'll be here the
whole week...