[Wikimedia-l] Wiki Travel Guide

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 22:07:21 UTC 2012

I agree that travel content is within the scope.  In addition to the
content itself, which helps other people, the process of writing and
communicating travel information is educational for the writer.

There was a session about WikiTravel on at RCC2011 Canberra, where the
need to change host was discussed, and forking generally was
discussed.

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/University_of_Canberra/RCC2011/All_about_Wikitravel

The wikiteam dumps of wikitravel are a bit old now; is someone working
on making fresh dumps publicly available?
https://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/downloads/list?can=2&q=wikitravel
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/wikiteam-discuss/0gSFlnxeKOo/discussion

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:17 AM, James Heilman <jmh649 at gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all yes travel content is educational. Some of the best education
> I have received in fact. Travel content however is in a form distinct from
> an encyclopedia and thus needs its own project.
>
> The editors from Wikitravel already have the content in a form that can be
> easily uploaded into a wiki. They plan to start their own Wiki if we are
> not interested.
>
> @Juergen Yes discussions are occurring with WikiVoyage and it is hoped that
> they would be interested in joining a combined Wikimedia project as
> described. There is reasons why the English community does not simply
> rejoin the German community at WikiVoyage.  It is my hope that moving to
> the WMF will allow the rejoining of these two communities on equal footing.
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

John Vandenberg