[Wikimedia-l] [Foundation-l] Volunteers Wanted: Funds Dissemination Process Advisory Group

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:37:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> But how many of those things are actually going to be difficult or
> controversial? Shouldn't we at least try and answer them using our
> standard approach of having an open discussion on a wiki? If it turns
> out we can't answer them that way, then we can try a more elaborate
> approach then.

Naturally the process should be public and inclusive.
I expect most of this group's work would involve open discussion on wikis.
Wiki discussions can be enhanced by calls and in-person meetings,
suitably transcribed and shared - especially when getting input from
people who are not active wiki users.

A structure and timeline for work, and a group of committed good-faith
participants to provide a steady core for ongoing discussion, is a
good idea for any time-sensitive project.  We don't want to appoint
FDC members themselves without more discussion and perhaps a
distributed selection process, but the background work should begin as
soon as possible.

As to 'which things would be controversial': as you demonstrated here,
even simple discussions can be dominated by a determined critic.

SJ