[Foundation-l] Wiki Travel Guide

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 17:21:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the most useful articles on Wikitravel that I've found is an outline
> of different Bavarian beers, and which groups they are popular with in
> Bavaria. I refer back to it regularly. I can't say I see the "not
> educational" argument.

It's a shame that things are not working out with Wikitravel's current
situation. :(

I survived visiting Japan a few years ago with just Wikitravel pages
printed (no guide book!) out and appreciate the variety of educational and
practical information.  It would be great to have the Collection Extension
there and other features.

If WMF were to host a wiki travel guide, I think and hope it would do much
better with tech support (same version of MediaWiki as Wikipedia, but would
take a bit of work to migrate it). I don't know where it would be amongst
WMF priorities though.

Cheers,
Katie

> Dan Rosenthal
>

> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Gerard Meijssen
> <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > Consider the number of links that are possible from a travel experience
> > an encyclopaedic experience .. !! Travelling has always been considered
> > educational.
> > Thanks,
> >     Gerard
> >
> > On 9 April 2012 18:39, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I think I would consider it educational.  Travel itself is an
> > > educational experience, and a fuller travel experience enabled by the
> > > sharing of Wikimedia-style free knowledge all the more so :)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Richard
> > > (User:Pharos)

> vandijk at wmnederland.nl

> into
> > > the scope of Wikimedia. Is it really 'educational' content?

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012