[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Fwd: Announcement: New editor engagement experiments team!

Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 01:50:43 UTC 2012

Please don't assume I disagree with all objections that could possibly be made, just because I disagree that the one's which had been presented so far are very significant. I sincerely hope this program is more decentralized then any other program being run right now. It seems to be in rather early stages, to declare that it has failed to achieve this.  But knowing SF, if the program were be half as well-distributed as needed for optimal performance (in a more perfect WMF); they will be white-knuckled, nauseous, and grasping for reasons to reel it in (figuratively speaking). So I hope the program isn't actually designed to be "ideally" decentralized.  We don't operate in an ideal world.  I hope it just one step further towards decentralization than SF has made thus far.  Then it may serve to deliver two good outcomes, in it's stated purpose as well building confidence for decentralization in SF.

Which is not to say I don't think your underlying objection is not the number one, most serious, concern I have with SF. If you asked me to explain what believed was the largest, most fundamental error SF is making. I would answer along your lines of thinking. If I could magically change one opinion regarding WMF, I would make everyone forget they had ever heard it was a good idea to have all the employees working face-to-face so they might more efficiently come to the wrong conclusions and more quickly be able to produce fait accompli [1]

But one has to walk before they can run. Still if you are correct the end editor engagement program is meant to be entire run out of SF, they shouldn't bother wasting their time. There is a good reason politicians do not run their "listening tours" from within their capitol cities. It is impossible for them to really gauge how things are going in the communities when the folks at the cafeteria are so much more engaging!

BirgitteSB

[1] An accomplished fact; an action which is completed before those affected by it are in a position to query or reverse it.  (I know English can difficult enough even when don't decide to rob other languages for concepts we are lacking.  For all I know this might mean something slightly different in French!)

On Apr 5, 2012, at 4:42 PM, Jan Kučera <kozuch82 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> remote work or start a reasonable grant-program to general public...
> you will never find the best talents in a limited space... (mainly US
> now) go to the full globe instead...
>
> 2012/3/28  <Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com>:
>> It seems to me that there has been a quite a variety of results to booster activities, and that the poorest results have come from random educators who decide to make a "Wikipedia class project" without consulting any veteran editors rather than from people more thoroughly exposed to the sausage factory nature of wikis. I don't doubt that outreach can be done very poorly, I just don't really expect future programs, especially ones with old hats on board, to make the same mistakes past programs have already discovered for us. As far I can determine, contributors fall along a full spectrum without any sort clear way to claim at what point an individual has become an official editor, nor when one might have forfeited such a status.
>>
>> I think that biggest difference in our viewpoints stems from your belief that there ever has been some sort of natural ecosystem of contributor motivations and that activities not intended to promote a specific viewpoint are somehow artificial. In a way, all of it was always artificial, or else it is really all quite natural given the nature of the system. I can't manage to find those labels meaningful. Nor can I find any objective criteria that would make sense to populate two categories of contributors in the way you speak of one side being boosted over the other by outreach.
>>
>> It is however the most natural thing in all of humanity to transform a complex system down into some sort of false dichotomy. To transform a truly varied world into "us" and "them." I dislike the necessity of suggesting that your position may be partially supported by a failure of critical thinking. However I am at a loss as to what your other side could be, besides that they are not "us".
>>
>> Also while I understand that the last bit is a sort of talking point for your position, I cannot see why the statistical goals are not understood as indicative of significant qualities. It is like complaining a sports team signed a big contract with star player just for the sake of statistics. Statistics are how you take measure of meaning over time or across groups.
>>
>> Birgitte SB
>>
>> On Mar 25, 2012, at 9:23 PM, Theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for this email Birgitte. I greatly enjoyed reading it, it give
>>> insight in not just your own motivation, but mine and several others who
>>> have come to know. I apologize for my following lengthy response as well.
>>> This is a well-articulated, reasoned response, that should stand apart from
>>> the ongoing discussion.
>>>
>>> This does not mean I don't disagree with some of your points in the
>>> discussion. I believe we have two fundamentally different perspectives o
>>> this. It shapes our opinion of where we are and where we are heading

>>> Theo