[Foundation-l] WMF Engineering org charts

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 5 00:34:06 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

as I mentioned in a response to Liam the other day, we've been working
on having org charts generated in a more automatic, scalable form.

A contractor, Mark Holmquist, has been working on an open source tool
for this the last few weeks to do this. It's still highly
experimental. In particular, we're exploring alternative layout
options (full horizontal only works well for small org charts). Don't
be surprised if it breaks or behaves weirdly, and Mark may be making
changes to the labs setup at any time.

Most importantly, it's only engineering right now. I've plopped in a
couple of examples for the other depts, but ignore those until they're
built out, provided my colleagues are happy with the tool. This is not
authoritative, and there are almost certainly errors, beyond the
aforementioned omission of all other departments. :)

Explanations:
* The little flags represent locations. Typically they're ccTLD
country codes, except for SF for the SF office.
* Mousing over a node in the chart gives you extended information.
* (E) = employee, (C) = contractor
* Dashed border = this is a contractor role that's not part of the
overall capacity plan and funded out of the general "outside
contractor services" budget

The tool makes it possible to have unique URLs for any subset view of
the chart, and that's the best way to use it. These are the
departments in engineering/product:

TechOps:
http://orgcharts.wmflabs.org:8888/#of-unit-box-for-4f5e806d0b3d0d0f2e000009

Features:
http://orgcharts.wmflabs.org:8888/#of-unit-box-for-4f5e806c0b3d0d0f2e000003

Platform:
http://orgcharts.wmflabs.org:8888/#of-unit-box-for-4f5e806c0b3d0d0f2e000007

Mobile:
http://orgcharts.wmflabs.org:8888/#of-unit-box-for-4f6cd85eeef7b93804000002

I18N/R&D:
http://orgcharts.wmflabs.org:8888/#of-unit-box-for-4f6cff2d9f293f1b13000001

Product:
http://orgcharts.wmflabs.org:8888/#of-unit-box-for-4f6d01199f293f1b13000003

All of engineering:
http://orgcharts.wmflabs.org:8888/#of-unit-box-for-4f5e806c0b3d0d0f2e000002

Code is currently here and will be moved to WMF git repo soon:
http://code.marktraceur.info/?p=wmf-orgchart;a=summary

If you'd like to be involved or provide detailed feedback for
improvement, please post to the talk page here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_tools/Org_chart_tool

All best,
Erik
--