[Foundation-l] A discussion list for Wikimedia (not "Foundation") matters

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Apr 3 05:37:47 UTC 2012

Erik Moeller wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think wikimedia-l would work fine and make sense. We probably don't need
>> an additional list, a lot of the lists we have now are lightly used.
>
> Picking this up again .. I'll go ahead and make this change on
> Saturday 4/7, unless there are strong objections. Moving this list to
> wikimedia-l seems like the least disruptive change for now,
> acknowledging that its scope has long expanded beyond WMF matters.

What's involved to implement this? I don't think mailman has a move tab. ;-)

It's a matter of creating a separate list and importing the members from the
current list (foundation-l), right? Will foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
continue to function after April 7 (as a redirect/alias) or will only the
new address? Will the archives be permanently split? Are there any other
consequences of a list rename?

I'll note (again) that in your 2004 proposal to create "foundation-l" you
specifically cited the desire to "avoid 'Wikipedia/Wikimedia' style typos"
by not choosing "wikimedia-l" as the list name.[1] I'm still not sure a move
(from "foundation-l" to "wikimedia-l") has more benefit than cost.

MZMcBride

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Foundation-L_Proposal