[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 01:51:33 UTC 2011

Off topic alert:

I haven't given a closer look to your main topic, Milos, so I cannot
give a responsible statement in any way. But your reference to Wiki
Loves Monuments, while I agree it's heavily Europe-focused, I strongly
disagree with you on its decadency, as an (retired) aesthetic. While
the determination what artworks are heavily depends on the community
to appreciate, so partly I understand your concern, if WLM is carried
on only by European chapter people, it can hardly of NPOV at some
future moment, but artworks belong to the critical part of "the sum of
human knowledge" along with the information who created them and then
have appreciated or rejected them.

Recording those things always inherits its own systematic bias, to
some extent. It may  seem bored and look a certain culture's
hegemonical promotion. But it might be only to the contemporary, and
the coming age may have a different view and even would appreciate
such records. Here I'd like you to recall on two series of exhibitions
in Germany in the late 1930s, that is, Entartete Kunst and the other
(really propaganda) one. Records on those exhibitions let us have a
deep insight what then happened and people thought, and, on the
unfortunately lost works, what they could be.

I have no foresight on WLM and its future. But archival approach for
artworks per se, it matches our mission and thus we support it.

Cheers,

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp