[Foundation-l] Show community consensus for Wikilove

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Sun Oct 30 11:21:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 23:15:52 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net>
wrote:

> Some editors just want to edit articles and regard the "social" and
> "meta" dimensions of the project as annoying distractions, while other
> editors see those as the main attractions. Some prefer "You are nice.",
> others are far more motivated hearing "You did a good job." Some might
> be thrilled if they see someone clicked them a kitty, others might find
> it far more meaningful if another editor takes the time to manually go
> to their talk page and manually write, say, "I signed in this morning
> and saw you added a great picture to the article I created yesterday.
> That made me smile, thank you." without hearts and beers and single
> clicks (similarily, adding the picture might be a far better show of
> appreciation than a clicked kitty with thanks for the new article.)

Actually, I remember at some point last year Sue (or was it somebody else?
sorry for not remembering) suggested thanking the users for their 100th and
may be 1000th edit (or was it also the first article?). I thought it is a
great idea if implemented manually. Does anybody know whether it was
followed up? Accidentally, I happened to move to a brand new account
already afterwards, now I am past 5000 edits and 80 new articles in English
Wikipedia, and I never got any messages like this (not than I need them so
much). But in general I still think it would be a good idea.

Cheers
Yaroslav