[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

David Levy lifeisunfair at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 06:11:02 UTC 2011

Andreas Kolbe wrote:

> > > NPOV policy as written would require us to do the same, yes.

> > The community obviously doesn't share your interpretation of said policy.

> It's not a question of interpretation; it is the very letter of the policy.

It most certainly is a matter of interpretation.  If the English
Wikipedia community shared yours, we wouldn't be having this
discussion.

In this context, you view images as entities independent from the
people and things depicted therein (and believe that our use of
illustrations not included in other publications constitutes undue
weight).

Conversely, the community doesn't treat "images of x" as a subject
separate from "x" (unless the topic "images of x" is sufficiently
noteworthy in its own right).  If an image illustrates x in a manner
consistent with what reliable sources tell us about x, it clears the
pertinent hurdle.  (There are, of course, other inclusion criteria.)

> Due weight and neutrality are established by reliable sources.

And these are the sources through which the images' accuracy and
relevance are verified.

David Levy