[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 17:51:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 17:18, church.of.emacs.ml
<church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 09/21/2011 03:47 AM, Milos Rancic wrote:
>> * Create en.safe.wikipedia.org […]
>
> Then governments/ISPs/institutions could block unsafe-Wikipedia via DNS
> blocks. This is, compared to DPI, quite easy.
> Using en.wikipedia.org/safe/ might resolve this issue.

Governments about which we are talking have methods to filter
particular images, not just domain names. But, I am fine with
.../safe/ as an option.

The other issue is that those who want to censor actually want to
block non-censored access. If so, let's them give that, but not on the
main site, so they could actually block en.wikipedia.org if they are
so insane. Bottom line is to protect more permissive cultures. If some
group really wants to have Wikipedia censored and it's so powerful to
push WMF Board to do something beyond reasonable involvement in
content issues, sexual education of their children is around the
bottom of my concerns.

> You're counting on there being too many hashes to go through, which is
> correct.
> But there are far fewer images to go through. You'd only have to create
> a list of all hashes of all 11 million or so images on Commons and
> compare that list to the list of unsafe images on safe.wikimedia.org.
> Which is not easy (if you have to download all the files, i.e. if the
> files themselves are used for hashing, not only the file name), but
> arguably doable.
>
> So, in effect, I don't think your proposal properly achieves what it
> tries to accomplish. (Sorry if I misunderstood your proposal)

I am not sure what do you object at the end. If you have better
technical idea or have an idea for better design, I am fine with it as
long as it doesn't affect the main site.