[Foundation-l] It Is not Us

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 05:17:10 UTC 2011

+1 to Keegan. Different activities attract different thought of
people. Social interactivity of Wikimedia websites and beyond is one
of charms of Wikimedia movement, but it is a beneficial side effect of
the Movement, a necessary consequence of its collaborative production
to gather "the sum of the human knowledge" online for freely access.
Spreading online social network pleasure itself is no mission of
Wikimedia.

Also I'd like to join Thomas's insight statistics should be accurate
if we'd like to use on a basis of analysis. We cannot deduce a
meaningful thought from wrongly combined statistics.

Also on user consuming hours on the Web, I think it too much
hypothetical everyone uses the same amount of time on a given tool,
say, the Internet, which seems to me behind the stats mentioned.

Cheers,

Cheers,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Keegan Peterzell
<keegan.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Peter Gervai <grinapo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 17:43, Gerard Meijssen
>> <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Wikipedia should be more like a social network. It provides us with the
>>
>> well wikipedia is about to create value for long term - social
>> networks are about to create worthless things for the moment.

> +1
>
> As you mentioned earlier, Peter, most things on Facebook are in-the-moment
> and do last in any sort of repository of things people want to read for
> educational value.  There is some entertainment value in places like
> lamebook.com, but that humor generally isn't above the brow (there is some
> witty banter, though).
>
> Our talk pages, on the other hand, provide insight in the archives on how
> the social dynamics shaped the creation of a product as well as provide
> general institutional knowledge.  Wikimedia social networking features such
> as talk pages, mailing lists, and IRC channels produce millions of lines of
> collaborative work.  This is what makes our system valuable.
>
> --
> ~Keegan
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子